Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Can You Protect Your Family From the Threat of Fracked Drinking Water and Food?

Of all the things that have caught my attention since I began researching the environmental effects of the hydraulic fracturing natural gas drilling method, the most striking part has been the fact that no matter how much people ask for help, no matter how many experts stand up and present data about their research, and no matter how many government agencies publish data indicating the dangers of fracking (wow, sorry about that run-on sentence) the industry marches ahead and does pretty much whatever it wants to do.

So, in light of that, I have to ask, can you protect your family from the threat of fracked drinking water and food?

I'm not being facetious, here, I really want to know. Do you feel safe?

I know some pro-frackers are going to pop in here, munching on their M&M's and popping Advil while drinking their tap water, to say something like "Yeee Haaa, I shore nuf can keep muh famly safe cuz there aint not no threat from frackin. Drill, babee, drill." But I want to know what the people who have done actual research have to say.

Even if you buy bottled water and do not drink your tap water, where do you think the bottled water comes from? There is fracking done in every state in the country (Ooh, except, I believe Vermont recently banned fracking - kudos Vermont) and in almost every country in the world, so what do you tell yourself about the safety of your drinking water and food supply?

Do you have any assurance that fracked water is not used to grow your produce or feed the livestock that produce your meat, eggs, and dairy products? No?

I truly wish I could wind up this post with an assurance that water and food purchased from #### place #### would be safe (come on, just one safe place, please,) but if fracking is everywhere, and there is no science and research-backed way to assure its safety, then there can be no assurance. I wonder if Vermont could supply enough frack-free water and food to supply the rest of the nation, or at least the families who care about the dangers of fracking???

No comments:

Post a Comment