Monday, November 14, 2011

Is Fracking a Republican vs. Democrat Issue?

When I first heard fracking brine was being dumped into old wells near my home, it didn't occur to me that it might be a Republicans vs. Democrats issue. After all, we all have to drink the same water, breathe the same air, and live with any other effects that result from the practice regardless of the political party we follow.

I was surprised when I realized that somehow this very basic issue, that is affecting and will continue to affect, all of us has emerged as a partisan issue.

Cash for Fracking Support

According to an article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Ohio politicians, almost all Republican, are accused of having received nearly $3 million on lobbying and campaign contributions in Ohio over the last decade in an effort to keep drilling regulations lax by the non-profit organization known as Common Cause.

While I could easily go on and on about my opinions about this, I'm going to stop and let you check out the information found by Common Cause, and I'll end with a link to Common Cause's press release/summary of the study.

No comments:

Post a Comment